The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Filed under News, Opinion, Student Life

The Truth about Senior Year

Throughout my entire high school experience, I was told my senior year was going to be a breeze. This, however, turned out to be false.

When I was a freshman, I was always looking forward to becoming a senior and being on the top of the “food chain” while in high school. I had this vision that my senior year was going to be the easiest and most important year. Even though this is indeed the most important year, it is not easy whatsoever.

When I say “easy”, everyone assumes I’m talking about easy classes; however, this is not the case.

Senior year is definitely all I was expecting, socially. You literally feel on top of the world. Even though feeling great and have easy classes is awesome, there is an unexpected factor that all underclassmen never take into consideration.

That factor is money.

“Start saving early,” says Ms. Davis, Aberdeen High School guidance secretary. “Senior year is definitely the most expensive year.”

There are so many things that underclassmen fail to recognize or think about. For example, underclassmen, when thinking about senior year, are more focused on senior week and prom–the two most important events taking place during senior year.

However, most forget to think about the costs and amount of stress that comes with it all. That only scratches the surface.

Other than senior week and prom, which are already racking up a good amount of the costs, the amount of money that is needed for your class ring, cap and gown, and your senior class trip hasn’t been considered.

When you add them up, senior week, your class ring, class trip, prom, and your graduation package come to an average (and maybe even lower than average) total of $1,225. The most stressful part is that this doesn’t even include college applications, future college costs, or a car.

One thing everyone is going to need is a car. This is an important milestone in just about everyone’s teenage life, and pretty much all teenagers want to get a car but few are lucky enough to get a free car thanks to their parents. However, a car is necessary to drive yourself to work so you can make all the money you’re going to need over the course of senior year.

If you aren’t fortunate enough to get a lot of help and extra money from your parents, then the stress is really starting to pile up. Not only do you have to worry about school, but now a lot of things to worry about are added to your list–like getting a car, getting a job, saving for college, and figuring out what you want to do in life.

The moral of this story is…#StartSaving.