The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Filed under Community, News

Veteran’s Day Celebrations

Last week, on November 11, Veterans Day was observed. There are many veterans out there that work hard fighting for our county, and even if you aren’t one of them, Veteran’s Day is a good day to say thanks to a fellow solider.

In New York City, they have an annual parade each year, called “Land of the Free, Home of the Brave” to celebrate the men and women who defend the United States. This parade also honors the bicentennial of the United States National Anthem.

You can spend Veteran’s Day in Washington. They have a lot of memorials set up just for Veteran’s Day–special monuments like American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial, Women in Military Service for America Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and many more. They even have a Veteran’s Day Concert on the National Mall, and it was broadcast live on HBO.

I asked some people what they were going to be doing on Veteran’s Day, and if they were going to honor any solider in particular. Miss Glinsmann, AHS teacher, said she was going to make sure she called her grandfather.

Mr. Zacharias said he wanted to stop by the National Mall for the concert, but there was about half a million people there.

There was a lot to do on this honorable day, but the most important thing we can do is to remember the ones who sacrificed their lives.