The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Filed under A&E, Student Life

iPad Air 2 vs. Surface 3

Two popular tablets right now are Apple’s iPad Air 2 and Microsoft’s Surface 3. But there is much debate over which device is better. Some like iPad, some Surface 3.

According to gizmag.com, the Surface 3 is 187 mm long, 267 mm wide, and 8.7 mm thick. iPad is 170 mm long, 240 mm wide, and 6.1 mm thick.

The Surface weighs 622g (1.37 lbs.) with no keyboard, while the iPad weighs 437g (.96 lbs.).  The Surface only comes in one color (silver), while the iPad comes in three color (silver, space gray, gold).

The display on the Surface is 10.8” diagonally, while the iPad is only 9.7” diagonally. The iPad has better resolution, with 264 pixels per inch, compared to only 214 ppi for the Surface.

The Surface has three ports (USB, microUSB, and Mini DisplayPort), while the iPad only has one port (Lightning). The Surface uses an Intel Atom x7, 64-bit quad core processor that comes in 1.6 and 2.4-GHz. iPad uses an A8X, 64-bit tri core processor that only comes in 1.5 GHz. The Surface has 2-and-4 GB random access memory versions, while the iPad only comes in 2GB.

Both devices can have up to 128GB of storage, and up to 10 hours of battery life. Both devices have an eight megapixel rear camera, but the Surface has a three and a half megapixel front camera, compared to only 1.2 megapixel front camera on the iPad. The Surface and the iPad start at 500 dollars.

“I prefer Surface 3,” said an Aberdeen High School student said when asked which device he preferred. “The Surface is better for doing productive work.” A second Aberdeen High School student was asked the same question. “I think the iPad is better for me because I just want to surf the web and play games.”

So, the playing field is set. You know the facts, and now it’s time to decide which side are you on: Team iPad Air 2, or Team Surface 3?