The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Filed under Sports

Ravens Sign CB Arrington

The Baltimore Ravens have once again made a late-season move that will greatly improve their team. On Wednesday, Ozzie Newsome turned frustration into production when the Ravens capitalized on a surprise move by the New England patriots.

The Patriots cut seven-year player Kyle Arrington, whom which the Ravens proceeded to signing immediately, after reportedly having “no secrets that Arrington was on the wish-list.” With this move the Ravens have brought a key piece to the weakest unit of the entire team.

The secondary has been in need of a true slot cornerback since the departure of Cary Williams. With thIS signing the Ravens now have arguably one of the best slot cornerbacks in the NFL. Arrington was released due to his cap casualty and not for his on-the-field production.

The Ravens were able to scoop the Maryland native on a measly three-year $7.5 million deal. Arrington was previously signed to a $4-million-per year deal with the Patriots (a deal that the Patriots obviously didn’t see as fair).

While Arrington isn’t considered a true ball hawk, he’s definitely considered one the best third down defenders in the NFL. In fact it appears that Arrington practically landed in the Ravens lap, as his release came shortly after the restructuring of CB Jimmy Smith’s contract. The money saved on the Smith deal has actually been the amount needed to pay for Arrington’s signing.

Arrington is 5’ 10”, 190 lbs– the ideal size for a slot cornerback. He’s defended 48 passes and accumulated 9 interceptions in his 7 seasons. The Ravens have definitely taken advantage of an opportunity to bolster their secondary, a group that has gone through radical change over the last year, with additions like Kendrick Lewis.

As of now it appears that the opening day starters at CB will be Jimmy Smith, Ladarius Webb, and Arrington in the slot role. This will allow Webb and Smith to play outside consistently.

Today the Ravens Defense looks a whole lot bulkier thanks to the new additions, once again reminding us to trust in Ozzie, even in May to make blockbuster signings.