The student news site of Aberdeen High School

First Quarter Ends, but There’s Still a Long Way to Go

Alana Taitingfong, Guest Writer

The weather is cooling down, and the fresh new school year buzz is dwindling down as the first quarter ends. For this year’s senior class, it’s an exciting time– as well as a very stressful time.

According to USA today, “Teens across the USA are feeling high levels of stress that they say negatively affect every aspect of their lives.” At this point of time, the majority of students either blow the first quarter off or take it extremely seriously.

Aberdeen student Gina Perez states, “I’m already stressing, I’m trying to have good grades…I have an 84.5 in a class and the teacher won’t let me bump it up!” When asked how she dealt with stress, she responded with, “I eat junk food.”

Not only do the students have to get it together and deal with stress, but the teachers do as well. Mr. Simmons said, “I’m very happy this year–I have a lot of students that work hard this year, but the quarter ending is one of the most stressful times.

“Especially me, personally, because I tend to accept late work,” he said.

When interviewing, the question “Do you feel stressed or pressured to be successful in high school?” was asked. Although many students may find it easy to be successful, like Aberdeen senior Perry Stokes. “No, P-Stokes is my name, success comes my way,” he said.

The majority of seniors find this year hard, and that it adds on to the stress of maintaining good grades in school.