The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Spotlight Review

Kirsten Harris

It’s no surprise many people would be excited to see The Girl on The Train, a movie that debuted at No.1 on The New York Times Best Sellers of 2015. Mostly when it’s a movie that shows a side of us that nobody wants to meet.  This psychological thriller takes you on a ride that has you holding your breathe the whole way through. The story follows a missing persons case through the eyes of an alcoholic. The majority of our letter writers for hire regularly produce new content for the site. At https://300writers.com/hire-letter-writer.html you will find the examples of our previous works.

The story begins on the train. Where readers meet Rachel (Emily Blunt) who is on her way to work, drunk. Rachel rides the train passed the home she used to live in, with her Ex-husband Tom (Justin Theroux) who now lives in the home with his new family. While on the train, Rachel obsessively watches Megan (Haley Bennett) and Scott Hipwell (Luke Evans) that live just a few homes down from Tom.

When she sees Megan with a man that isn’t her husband, Rachel panics that Megan is throwing away her perfectly good life (just like she did) and she rushes down to the neighborhood and blacks out. After Megan goes missing, Rachel fears that she might have had something to do with her disappearing, but she is literally left in the dark because of the blackouts.

Even though the book is mainly written in the point of view of Rachel, we learn bits and pieces of Megan’s life along with Anna Watson’s (Rebecca Ferguson) life.  This gives us a chance to see the difference in all three of their lives. Anna’s who is all perfect and happy, Megan’s who is messy and complicated, and Rachel’s who is full of drunken confusion.

The book captures the ideology of gas lighting, abuse, and the truth in a way that has you reading lines over and over again.

After reading “The Girl on The Train” I was left in confusion, shock, and was searching for more. The book takes you on a ride that has you so wrapped in the lives of the characters that you can feel the pain that they are going through and you can picture the way they are feeling. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a great read.