The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Filed under A&E

Bruce Jenner’s Journey

Bruce Jenner recently sat down with the legendary Diane Sawyer for a 20/20 interview about his life and the most recent speculations about his sexuality–namely, if he’s becoming a woman.

You may know Bruce as the quiet dad to those crazy kids on the hit E! Reality show “Keeping Up with the Kardashians”, but did you know that he was named the world’s best athlete after winning gold in the 1976 Summer Olympics? He’s one of the most famous athletes in the world and was seen all over the place, including commercials, posters, and even on the Wheaties cereal box.

Bruce said that while he was growing up, he always knew deep inside that this soul was the soul of a woman and would even sneak and wear his mother’s dresses that were in his mother’s closet.

During the interview, Bruce said that throughout his first marriage to Chrystie Crownover, he confessed to her that he occasionally liked wearing women clothing–but, he admits that he was not telling her the full truth about how he really felt inside.

After their divorce, he met Elvis’s ex Linda Thompson and had two kids with her as well, Brandon and Brody. He says that he told her pretty much nothing about how he enjoys wearing women clothing.  They divorced.

In the 1980s, Bruce began to take hormones to finally feel like himself and slowly transition, but stopped after meeting third wife Kris Jenner in 1991. Kris and Bruce had two daughters Kendall and Kylie during their 23 year marriage, while Bruce gained four other children– Kimberly, Kourtney, Khloe, and Robert, Jr.–from Kris’s previous marriage to Robert Kardashian.

During their marriage, Bruce and Kris have become the world’s most notorious reality show family with the help of their successful reality show “Keeping up with the Kardashians.” This show branched off to different business ventures, like clothing, makeup, shoes, fragrances, movies, books, and more.

Bruce and Kris divorced in 2015, stating irreconcilable differences. Bruce moved into a Malibu house after the divorce and began his journey as a women by getting his Adam’s apple shaved and wearing nail polish, which has been noticed by the paparazzi.

In the interview with Diane Sawyer, Bruce says he is not gay, but just enjoys all things female, like putting on high heels and dresses. He sat each child down to tell them about his transition, and wanted them all to take their time understanding his decision.

Each child has been dealing with this change in their own way.  “This could change the world,” Bruce said, explaning that this could help someone going through the same thing and this give them the courage to come out and be themselves.

Many people consider Bruce Jenner a hero and are praising his ability to be brave and finally be himself. Bruce says that he is a “lover of life” and “doesn’t want to live his life in someone else’s body.” A lot of people can learn a lot from Bruce, and hopefully this will empower others.

Bruce has been filming a documentary about his journey, which will premier in July 2015.