The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Underage Drinking Across the U.S.–A Problem Everywhere

Hannah Fizer, Guest Writer

It is widely known that alcohol consumption in children is common, but many people don’t know the reality of the situation.

According to the CDC’s website, CDC.gov, 80.9% of people between the ages of 18-20 have drank alcohol before. 11.4% of all alcohol consumption is from underage kids, and 10 million people aged 12-20 said they have consumed alcohol in the past 30 days.

Shockingly, it is common for teenagers to party and drink, according to interviews with anonymous students. One 17-year-old student said, “I have partied recently, and in the past month I have been intoxicated seven to eight times,” When asked how they make sure they stay safe, the student said, “I have a designated driver so it’s okay.”

Many teens fail to realize alcohol’s effect on the brain. It stunts learning, causes the brain not to develop to its full potential, causes memory problems, and even increases a teen’s chance of attempting suicide and engaging in promiscuous behavior. Clearly, alcohol is very dangerous, but underage drinkers continue to abuse the substance.

Even adults underestimate teenage alcohol consumption. Teachers around Aberdeen High were asked what they thought the statistics were on underage drinking. One teacher said that they think it is around 35%, and the average first sip of alcohol is around 17 or 18.

To show the reality, a 16-year-old student said that they had their first sip at eight years old, and were intoxicated for the first tim around age 13.

Although it is impossible to stop teenage drinking completely, having adults being aware of the statistics of teenage drinking can maybe prevent some kids from running wild and drinking before they are legally able to do so.