The student news site of Aberdeen High School

AHS Winter Sports Preview, Part One

Xavier Frink, Guest Writer

As the winter season approaches, student-athletes are preparing for their sports. It’s a time for a new beginning and new opportunities. All athletes and coaches have high aspirations for the season.

Basketball, wrestling, swimming and indoor track will all be starting in the winter. This article will focus on the basketball and indoor track teams for the Aberdeen Eagles.

All of the winter coaches are giving advice for the season. Assistant coach of the basketball team, John Mobley, said “Take the criticism the coaches give you and apply it. Learn from the other players who were on the team.”

He also spoke about about how a lot of players from last year are returning and ready to play. Be on the lookout for the basketball team to be successful this winter.

Also, we caught up with some players from both the boys and girls basketball teams last year who are looking to bring their talent to a whole other level.

Girls’ basketball Endia Jones said, “I think we can make states; we just have to hustle and work hard on defense.”

We also talked to senior guard Mekhi Willis, and he said, “I’m excited because it’s my last season and the goal is to play at College Park.” Both teams have something to prove and they are ready to play.

The indoor track team is also getting ready for their season. Coach White gave advice to returning and new student-athletes this winter, saying, “Be willing to work hard and listen. Also, take care of your body by eating and drinking what’s best for you.”

This is also preparation for the spring season for when they go outdoors. These athletes are keeping their body in shape year round.

These are just a few sports teams who have high ambitions and are patiently waiting for the start of the season. AHS student-athletes see they have to work hard and be a team player–they want to play when the lights are bright and they are waiting for their big moment to shine.