The student news site of Aberdeen High School

“With a Bang” Comes to HCC

Alicia Rae Brickey

Dan Schoener recently directed HCC Actors Guild in their production of “With a Bang.” In their recent cinema updates many essays writers mentioned that fact, and even speculated for reasons.

The play took place in their Black Box Theatre, and while the space they had to use was small, it was well used. They managed to have five separate entrances and exits and designed the space spectacularly for scene changes.

A door propped up on wheels in the back of the set turned from black for a drearier scene to off white for a brighter feel. Curtains on the stage walls allowed bigger stage pieces to be moved in and out quickly.

The room was filled with a fog that added to the mood and created a spectacular effect when combined with the gobos, a kind of light stencil to create a pattern of light on the stage. The light caught in the fog creates tendrils in the air.

The use of fake blood and trap box in the ceiling that was used to drop books, apparently, out of thin air were a nice touch to the work.

One cast member was Aberdeen’s own recent graduate Justin Strittmatter.

“College shows have more freedom, obviously,” he explained. In his opinion, he said that Aberdeen needs way more money. Justin explained that now that he’s seen just how much a show should have, it’s even more obvious how much more Aberdeen could do with more money.

The actors were spectacular. They felt and believed in their characters and it showed.

More productions by the HCC Actors Guild are something to look out for in the future!