The student news site of Aberdeen High School

Blue and Gold

Filed under A&E, News, Opinion

You Don’t Know What You’ve Got ‘Til It’s…”GONE GIRL!”

“Gone Girl,” directed by David Fincher, stars Ben Affleck (The Town, Argo) as Nick Dunne, who comes home to find his coffee table smashed and his wife Amy missing. With his wife’s disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, Nick sees the spotlight turned on him when it’s suspected that he may not be innocent.

Nick’s wide is played wickedly by Rosamund Pike, who isn’t really well known as an actress—yet. She’s mostly known for playing a Bond girl in everyone’s least favorite Bond movie, “Die Another Day.” Luckily, we learn something new from Pike: she could be Oscar material!

Rosamund Pike surprisingly steals the show in that her character has serious range. From the trailers, you expect that Pike’s character wouldn’t have much screen time because she’s, well, gone! But, that is certainly not the case.

You see flashbacks of Nick and Amy’s declining marriage through Amy’s voiceover through her diary, giving Pike a lot to work with.

David Fincher has proven that he can do well-done crime/detective movies. He has already proven this with “Seven,” “Zodiac,” and “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.”

“Gone Girl” is no exception.

“Gone Girl” is beautifully directed, shot, and acted, as well as beautifully scored by longtime collaborators Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

The movie clocks in at about two hours, 29 minutes. It is fairly lengthy, but the film keeps you interested the entire way, with twist after twist. As a matter of fact, this is one of the hardest films to talk about after you leave the theater.

The only problem the film possesses is the ending. This is shocking, coming from David Fincher who is the cinema kind of endings. Like “Seven” or “Fight Club?” Anyone? Did you witness those endings?!

You just sit in your seat, wanting more closure, but you know you won’t be getting it. Sadly, you mope, as you watch the credits start to roll.

Just because the ending is limp doesn’t mean the film isn’t worth the $11 you’ll need to get a ticket. The film ranks among “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Social Network,” and it wouldn’t be surprising seeing “Gone Girl” nominated for an Oscar.

JUSTIN’S FINAL VERDICT: 8/10